Subdividing a Property

Plan properly by consulting with a surveyor, a valuer or Land Agent and ourselves. Whichever option, you will need a lawyer to work closely with the surveyor to make sure the process is within budget and on time.

There are other considerations besides planning;

Fee Simple / Freehold

Gives full ownership of the land and everything on it.


Ownership through a lease from the owner of the freehold. Usually for continually renewable terms at a "ground rent".

Cross Lease

A technical way of subdividing from the time councils would allow several houses on a single property, but not allow the section to be divided into smaller parts.

All owners share ownership of the freehold (not any defined part of it). The combined owners then lease, (the cross lease) on similar terms to each of the individual owners the right to occupy their particular house, and any of the guard area if it exists.

Unit Title

A particular form of subdivision to allow for individual ownership of parts of a property. Sometimes used for small house developments, but really more applicable to multi-storey developments.


A Surveyor will be able to tell you what the local Council rules allow for your property. If subdivision is possible they can then work out with you the best way of achieving this for your property. We suggest Thornley & Associates or Woods as Firms we have experience in working with. Our experience shows they are able to provide the best results in the best times.

Contact them to talk about what you want to/can do with your property. Also discuss with them what the costs will be. Even the simplest of 2 lot or second stage cross lease subdivisions can cost up to $6,000.00 in Surveying, Council and Land Office fees.

Valuers/Real Estate Agents

At the same time it is essential you have had professional advice from a valuer. Alternatively talk to your local Barfoot & Thompson or Glovers office. What is the new section(s) and the old house and section worth. Is the cost of getting that extra section(s) going to cover that cost, without reducing the value in the over all land.